News:

Topic: Development  (Read 14861 times)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 07, 2013, 08:07:31 pm
64-bit version to support large scenes, a better viewport performance, Maya-like user-friendly outliner, batch rename operations and MatCap materials to inspect surfaces is all that I want from NVil.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 08, 2013, 12:51:50 am
I read some posts about NVil on Modo forum and while some people were amazed by its features, some complained that they won't buy an unknown software basing on a single image (the weapon on the main page: http://digitalfossils.com/).
Nvil's website really needs a gallery section of some kind! Also, maybe some forum section to encourage people to post their work into (be it WIP or completed stuff), so Kun can have some source pool to pick images from in order to fill that gallery.

I have tried to encourage people to post images several times but it has been bust trying to get good quality art made with nvil, this is what i was hopeing i would get from the the "What are you working on" thread i have sticked in the nvil discussion forum.

If people can provide me with some good art to use, i will create a gallery as a new section to the site.

Right now the things i think are dogging nvil the most are UV mapping, performance, and UI i intend to do a pretty comprehensive mock up of a possible UI direction in the future.

for a gallery i want to let some good content make it;s way into the mentioned forum, than i think i will hand pick, or put up to vote some stuff that i will make a gallery page out of.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:02:02 am by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 08, 2013, 06:40:07 am
If people can provide me with some good art to use, i will create a gallery as a new section to the site.
What do you consider "good art"?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:37:26 pm by steve »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
November 08, 2013, 05:31:05 pm
I wouldn't rush in v2 either. Some serious work needs doing on the site. The front page is just awful. The documentation is riddled with spelling mistakes, something a spell checker would pick up.

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 09, 2013, 03:52:49 am
I'm not really trying to rush on V2 but I just want a confirmation with alpha/beta releases like in any other software and maybe it would take around a year or so to finish the V2. Like if V2 have a feature that cannot be ignored I will share it to other forums and ask them what they think and persuade them into using NVil.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 09, 2013, 11:55:12 am
You do realise if there ever was a v2 it wouldnt be a year thing. Projects like this are complex and take years unless worked on full time with multiple people.

UV editor, performance than ui need to be worked on and in that order.

Even just making the uv editor a window that can be up while modeling instead of only work in face mode would be huge.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:59:28 am by Passerby »

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 09, 2013, 12:34:46 pm
ohhh, sorry if I offended you in anyway, I won't make any excuses. I just hope that you developers will generate enough money from NVil to develop NVil further. Once I get better in modelling I will try to help by making tutorials in Blender or in MAYA using NVil as my modelling software.

Thanks ;D

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 09, 2013, 01:42:42 pm
Not offended or anything I just saying it will take kun a very long time if he started a v2 since he has to work this around his job and social life.

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 09, 2013, 02:23:36 pm
by the way is Kun the only one working on NVil?
another thing would it be simple to add a addon option? like adding python scripting to add features into NVil since python is easy enough to learn for a beginner like me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:26:43 pm by arvin00 »

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 11, 2013, 10:47:14 am
<<viewport performance>>

If IStonia will may (may/can/..?) to use CUDA or OpenCl then possible it's will fix the problem. But it's possible is very very hard..

http://managedcuda.codeplex.com/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openclnet/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloo

p.s. The 3dcoat using CUDA for increasing of perfomance.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:30:42 pm by molebox »
Sorry for my bad english. Do not hesitate to ask if you do not understand me :-)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 11, 2013, 04:44:24 pm
Think performance on the CPU should be worked on first, cuda and opencl dont work on all gpus. Also when comparing to a other app that runs all on the CPU like Maya performance is still very behind.

It is a combination of not being as optomized and that c# isn't as fast as c++ performance wise.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 11, 2013, 05:26:53 pm
Think performance on the CPU should be worked on first, cuda and opencl dont work on all gpus.
Although Cuda is specific to nVidia, openCL will work on both nVidia and AMD.

Also when comparing to a other app that runs all on the CPU like Maya performance is still very behind.
I was under the impression Maya used DirectX . The latest version uses DirectX 11
http://www.autodesk.co.uk/products/autodesk-maya/overview

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 11, 2013, 05:34:20 pm
<<viewport performance>>

Can you be more specific as to what viewport performance issues you are having?

One thing to note. I found an issue with the display (both nVidia and AMD) in that if you have the number of processors above 1, the display can become jumpy (example:- When rotating view, the view rotation can suddenly stop, then jump to where it should be).

Edit-> Options-> Set Number of Processors.   Set to 1

• Administrator
  • Polygon
November 11, 2013, 10:29:24 pm
@steve Maya only uses directx while in viewport 2.0 mode or it renders on CPU and GPU when using hlsl shaders.

Directx only works with tris so it can do the surface rendering for a 3d app but it dosnt know how to handle quads and ngons.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 11, 2013, 11:13:27 pm
@steve Maya only uses directx while in viewport 2.0 mode or it renders on CPU and GPU when using hlsl shaders.
So it uses openGL in other viewport modes? Here are the results from a test for maya 2013 on opengl hardware:- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493-8.html#

Directx only works with tris so it can do the surface rendering for a 3d app but it dosnt know how to handle quads and ngons.
Yes, that is why quads/n-gons are split into tris for viewport display. Nvil uses MDX(managed direct X) and you can create quads/Ngons, but they are split into triangles for display. Nvil uses CPU/GPU for viewport via directX (If you go into "View-> Object shading-> Object Individual display" and select "Wireframe", you will see the underlying triangulation on the model/mesh.