News:

Topic: Development  (Read 14861 times)

• No avatar
  • Spline
August 10, 2013, 02:41:25 am
What happened to IStonia?? I can't seem to find any development now, did something happened? are you planning V2? PLease don't stop developing NViL.

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 10, 2013, 10:44:13 am
settle down a little. he does this on the side and still needs to work and have a social life.

updates will happen when he has time to do so.

• No avatar
  • Spline
August 10, 2013, 03:15:21 pm
oh ok, I thought everything was scrapped. well anyway thanks for the reply:)

• No avatar
  • Spline
    • Portfolio
August 29, 2013, 01:46:17 pm
This thread reminds me slightly of the silo boards when Jam&Feed went quiet.  Things started to get pretty ugly and the reason was that a lot of the guys there were so used to very regular feedback direct from the horse's mouth.

Hope it doesn't go the same way round here.

I've been pretty quiet round here for a long time, but I'm going to be using Nvil a lot in the near future so that might change.
Hope everything's alright with Kun.
Senior 3D Artist

• Administrator
  • Polygon
August 29, 2013, 10:36:03 pm
i really dont make much of it, i work a fulltime job and got a few large projects on the side, and it can take weeks for me to even get time to look at those projects, than sometimes i can work a lot at them at once.

im sure it is the same with istonia, since i know he dosnt live off the very little $ nvil brings in

• No avatar
  • Vertex
August 31, 2013, 01:20:05 am
Relax people. If you find a bug in NVil, make a video showing the bug and submit it to Istonia. He is pretty fast figuring the problem. Nevertheless, sometimes he breaks other parts :D but at least he is doing something. (Take that nevercenter silo3d)
And if you have a request, make sure that it is something doable and have a ton of patience. New features require more time because it needs new algorithms, ui, workflow, testing, etc.

So far I am very happy with NVil and the direction that it is taking. I bought the program after testing it for two hours. Although I could have been playing with the demo (1000 poly limit) for much longer I just had to support the developer(s). They have done a very nice job with the program and it feels like they have put a lot of thought into it.

Now lets model some awesome stuff and let the world know what NVil is capable of doing.

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 04, 2013, 02:21:50 pm
I  wish Kun will update NVil, NVil is a great modelling software but lacking. Hey Kun if you're reading this I am willing to pay an upgrade fee for v2 provided it would complete NVil as a modelling software with good uv mapping tools and also a upgrade in the viewport where we could show our model with a beautiful render shot.

I see NVil as a software that someday will lead into a mainstream software for Game Devs and maybe Filmmakers, completing what Silo didn't a software that can Model, UV map, Sculpt and maybe even Polypaint.

Thanks Kun
:)

EDIT: I think V2 would be good for NVil because I think with the release of V2 people will make noise about it. Oh yeah with V2 I can also make tutorials on youtube showing how great NVil is together with Blender, thanks again:)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:27:06 pm by arvin00 »

• Triangle
November 05, 2013, 01:20:04 am
I wouldn't rush to v2. People hardly noticed there's v1! The website isn't very attractive, the documentation needs a rework, there are no tutorials and there are still some bugs left that need fixing.
But I agree, that the UV tools are apalling as they are now.

For V2 I imagine something like work on performance, a 64Bit version, a new GUI (Qt for example). I don't see any need for a integrated renderer, but for more supported file types to export and import (FBX), app-links. For Sculpting and painting there is already sophisticated software that handles that really well. Nvil should stick to its guns, which is fully customizable, fast modelling (and hopefully UV Mapping). And adding big features like sculpting and painting also would add to the price tag, maybe even keep people from buying it.

And if V1 doesn't sell, there probably won't be any V2.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 05, 2013, 01:35:05 am
I read some posts about NVil on Modo forum and while some people were amazed by its features, some complained that they won't buy an unknown software basing on a single image (the weapon on the main page: http://digitalfossils.com/).
Nvil's website really needs a gallery section of some kind! Also, maybe some forum section to encourage people to post their work into (be it WIP or completed stuff), so Kun can have some source pool to pick images from in order to fill that gallery.

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 06, 2013, 06:16:39 am
I did not mean a integrated renderer but what I meant was a good viewport rendering like viewport 2.0 in maya, I got my idea with this when I was playing with the materials section. I agree adding sculpting and texturing will add to the tag price but it will lead to a better community and better development also adding these features may attract companies in using this software rather than us individual artist.

+1 to the gallery section it would not only help people into buying this software but it would also help exciting users to be inspired and make something for the community.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:21:31 am by arvin00 »

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 06, 2013, 06:37:36 am
I did not mean a integrated renderer but what I meant was a good viewport rendering like viewport 2.0 in maya,
That would probably require a new display API. If that was something fairly easy/quick to add, then it would of already been done (IMHO)

I agree adding sculpting and texturing will add to the tag price but it will lead to a better community and better development also adding these features may attract companies in using this software rather than us individual artist.
I would find that doubtful. Anyone serious about sculpting would be looking at Zbrush or 3d-coat.

+1 to the gallery section it would not only help people into buying this software but it would also help exciting users to be inspired and make something for the community.
I agree a WIP/finished project forum would be good, but how many would contribute to such a forum?

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 06, 2013, 01:04:20 pm
That would probably require a new display API. If that was something fairly easy/quick to add, then it would of already been done (IMHO)

True, that is why I said for V2, but it can also be on V3 when somethings have been added and improve like uvmapping(maybe even sculpting and texturing).

I would find that doubtful. Anyone serious about sculpting would be looking at Zbrush or 3d-coat.

I somewhat disagree because you can find in NVil that you will not find in those software and that is polygonal modelling I find that a plus.

Since NVil needs to grow it would really hard to tell now if they will not go to NVil for sculpting, look at blender for example there are people who use blender for serious sculpting even though it is very inferior in sculpting compared to those. Another thing it is good to have competition rather than having only zbrush as your sculpting software(also monopoly would stagnant growth) because with a opponent like that NVil would need some feature that would make people choose NVil rather than zbrush(maybe even price).

I agree a WIP/finished project forum would be good, but how many would contribute to such a forum?

I would:)

• No avatar
  • Polygon
November 06, 2013, 02:08:21 pm
I somewhat disagree because you can find in NVil that you will not find in those software and that is polygonal modelling I find that a plus.
Both Silo and Hexagon added sculpting, where are they now?

I would:)
Post some WIPs/finished projects to this forum, once it is seen users are posting and showing a demand for a WIP/finished projects forum, I am sure one would be added.

• Triangle
November 07, 2013, 12:55:09 am
As one could have inferred from my previous posting, I don't think NVil needs more features (except for sophisticated UV-Mapping and just maybe a new GUI) to really kick off and hit the market. It is a decent website, marketing and support (by that I mean tutorials) that are lacking.
I'm not saying NVil shouldn't further improve, but I seriously believe that the software has what it takes to become a known 3D-modeller in the business as was once Silo. Silo had for example Glen Southern and other names to back them up with tutorials and testimonials.
I'm just mentioning this, because I was under the impression that this thread had become less about delevopment and more about getting more people on board.

I really wish I had more time to spend it working with NVil to produce some artwork to put in some gallery section and also make tutorials/demonstrations. But at the moment, progress is really slow because I'm busy.

• No avatar
  • Spline
November 07, 2013, 03:34:52 am
Both Silo and Hexagon added sculpting, where are they now?

Well you have a point, I just wanted to express want I wanted from NVil. I thought of adding sculpting because of what C4D, modo, and blender did they have poly painting and sculpting in them.

I don't think NVil needs more features (except for sophisticated UV-Mapping and just maybe a new GUI) to really kick off and hit the market. It is a decent website, marketing and support (by that I mean tutorials) that are lacking.

I agree with you, if sculpting and poly painting will not be added I think the only way NVil would kick off is be the best modelling software out there and have a great UV-mapping tools(marmoset toolbag like functtionality would also be nice) with good integration with other software like maya, max, blender and others or just have great export selection.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:36:58 am by arvin00 »