News:

Topic: Dxf import  (Read 3297 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
April 21, 2017, 11:07:37 pm
Hi all,

I've tested dxf import but didn't imported anything and no error showed.

Has anyone tested it? It is needed some specific dxf version? I can only output to 2013 one.

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 22, 2017, 07:42:39 am
Can you send me a dxf sample file with very simple geometry something like a box or even a plane?

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
April 29, 2017, 05:48:28 pm
Sorry, did'n notice.

This is a simple square from nanocad.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:23:41 pm by Asticles »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
April 29, 2017, 06:37:12 pm
And simple lines with dimensions from freecad.

Thanks

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
April 30, 2017, 08:05:19 am
I have a look at the files but don't understand anything at all. I have no knowledge of dxf format. I just use the function provided in fbx sdk to do the dxf import/export.

Only face information can be imported. It won't work if there is only information of points and lines.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
April 30, 2017, 11:31:08 am
The problem (for me) is that the interesting thing about importing dxf files is to get cad drawings to work with them as a reference for architecture modeling.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 03, 2017, 08:23:08 am
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-03-17.rar

* Edit > Preference > Options2 > Snap to frozen object enabled.
  * Edit > Options > File Format Options > dxf > Import isolated vertices. The isolated vertices will be wrapped into an object called "Obj_ISO_Verts_Only". Faces should be created base on these isolated vertices so they can be used as snapping objects for precision modeling.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
May 05, 2017, 03:26:24 pm
Hi IStonia,

Thanks for your support. Snapping to frozen works great!

Dxf vertices are imported correctly, it should be enough if the drawing is clear.
Also, how can I show vertices in orto views?

Thanks!

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 05, 2017, 04:01:19 pm
Try this
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-06-17.rar

POLYLINE from dxf will be converted to splines in Nvil.

... how can I show vertices in orto views?

Do a search for "Show Vertices".

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
May 05, 2017, 05:10:55 pm
Tested and does not import for me the polyline from nanocad, but worked from freecad.

I will test with one exported from autocad asap.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 05:16:16 pm by Asticles »

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 06, 2017, 12:19:28 pm
Try this. It should work on manocad polyline properly.
http://www.digitalfossils.com/Download/NVil-May-07-17.rar

Also can you try exporting splines to a dxf file and see if your cad applications can open it?

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
May 08, 2017, 07:06:00 pm
Hi,

I've tested it and now it imports correctly dxf files from nanocad and autocad. The problem now is that a full project dxf files is made of thousands of objects, and Nvil struggles to import them. I think because it separates each line in different objects. They should be imported as one object, because after that the user should transform the imported drawings, scaling, separating and rotating the projection views, etc.

When exporting an spline to dxf, it is opened by nanocad as a 3d polyline, but not smoothed. Only sraight lines between control points.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:12:33 pm by Asticles »

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
May 08, 2017, 07:14:50 pm
Sorry, I've searched and cannot find it. Is it possible con convert splines to polys?

Thanks

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
May 09, 2017, 08:22:54 am
Sorry, I've searched and cannot find it. Is it possible con convert splines to polys?

Thanks

The tool name is "Spline Polygon".

I've tested it and now it imports correctly dxf files from nanocad and autocad. The problem now is that a full project dxf files is made of thousands of objects, and Nvil struggles to import them. I think because it separates each line in different objects. They should be imported as one object, because after that the user should transform the imported drawings, scaling, separating and rotating the projection views, etc.

It is not possible to put everything into one object because one spline object only represents one spline.
You can put all imported objects under one object or one folder in object hierarchy window and use hierarch tools to transform/rotate/scale them when needed.

When exporting an spline to dxf, it is opened by nanocad as a 3d polyline, but not smoothed. Only sraight lines between control points.

Can't do any better.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
    • My worklog
May 09, 2017, 05:43:00 pm
Ok, thanks for your efforts!