News:

Topic: Radial Array Question  (Read 2219 times)

• No avatar
  • Vertex
March 13, 2015, 07:51:35 pm
I was looking at this video for ZBrush's new poly modeling tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQt--oiDHNk

I was blown away by the circular array workflow used in this video. I fired up NVil to try something similar and it seems to behave differently with the instance tool. A couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to set the current object as one of the objects in the array, rather than having it sit at the center of the array? Seems like it would be easier to see the edits.
2. Is there a way to edit an array that has already been created to change the number of items in the array?

Thanks in advance!

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 15, 2015, 02:03:49 am
1. You can move your object to position, then set the manipulator to the center of where the array will be. That can be done either before or after calling the instance_radial.
To set the manipulator, look at the "Manipulation window", the window (by default) at bottom of viewport. You will see "Orientation" and "Pivot position", both have a "Set", when enabled, you can move/rotate the manipulator to any position by dragging or snap points. There is also a more advanced "Set manipulator" which can be found "Edit > Customize > Streamline tools" > "Built-in Tools > Set Manipulator" which you can set an hotkey if required.

2. There is no history as such, only undo levels, So no, not as you are probably thinking.

• No avatar
  • Developer
  • Administrator
  • Polygon
March 15, 2015, 10:09:08 am
I added "Include zero position" option to the radial array.

• No avatar
  • Vertex
March 16, 2015, 05:03:04 am
Wow, thanks for the quick help everyone! And thanks for putting that option into the software so quickly, unbelievably great support!