News:

Topic: hard edges  (Read 3383 times)

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
March 31, 2015, 03:10:51 pm
Why I can not get hard edges after extrude?
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Polygon
March 31, 2015, 08:43:22 pm
Angle set too low.

"Hard edge threashold angle" is the same as "Crease Angle"

Try setting back to default of 145

• Administrator
  • Polygon
    • http://samardac.com/
April 01, 2015, 06:01:32 am
Thanks.
Portfolio: www.samardac.com

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 01, 2015, 08:57:55 am
Angle set too low."Hard edge threashold angle" is the same as "Crease Angle"
Try setting back to default of 145
Hi Steve...
and what value would one dial in if one never wants hard edges to appear – simply
does not use that feature at all? I tried quite a few settings but nothing worked.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 01, 2015, 09:23:32 am
and what value would one dial in if one never wants hard edges to appear –

If you enter "0", that will stop most of the auto hard edges, but not all.
(the hard_edges are actually generated due to non-defined smooth groups, but that is another issue)

All this with hard_edges, smooth groups being auto generated is a pain, and really needs to be changed(IMHO). If user want hard_edges / smooth_groups, then they can set them, which they need to do anyway for correct results.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:25:41 am by steve »

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 01, 2015, 11:10:13 am
Thanks Steve,
I had tried 0 but this didn't have the desired effect.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 01, 2015, 11:40:21 am
Hi Polyxo,

What is adding hard_edges?

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 01, 2015, 12:04:30 pm
What is adding hard_edges?
Well, several primitives come with hard edges by default (box, cylinder, text...). A lot of modelling operations seem not to create hard edges with 0° set but at export time I often need to soften some edges for some reason. I will have to keep an eye on this.

• No avatar
  • Polygon
April 01, 2015, 12:38:19 pm
Hi polyxo,

Primitive are automatically given smooth_groups.

When using tools/functions on objects, for example "Extrude", although the setting in preference (Hard edge threshold angle) can be set to stop the hard edges showing, the underlying non-defined smooth groups are still created. So if you export to an application that supports smooth_groups (or import back to Nvil), the hard_edges will show (smooth_groups are refreshed).

Ideally what we need is for all primitives to be created with single smooth_group, and when such as extrude is made, that the new polygons created are added to smooth_group of object.
As it is now, it is a case of creating many composite tools/streamline tools to keep one smooth_group on object, or, keep using "Smooth_all" while modeling.

It is a subject that comes up multiple times, and I have mentioned the problems with smooth_groups/non-defined smooth_groups, but looks like we have to deal with it.

• No avatar
  • Spline
April 01, 2015, 12:50:50 pm
Yeah, this feature seems to be nested deeply in Nvils code and it can't help creating these.
Thanks Steve.